Here is more information about this new, temporary housing benefit – rent subsidy.
one-time $500 Canada Housing Benefit payment that is currently available to low-income folks. Because so many injured workers live on a low income, they should check this out if they are renters or if they live in a room and board situation.
This benefit is a one-time payment of $500 to eligible lower-income renters who meet all the following conditions:
• have filed a 2021 tax return;
• be at least 15 years of age as of December 1, 2022;
• be a resident in Canada in 2022 for tax purposes;
• have an adjusted family net income of $20,000 or less for individuals, or $35,000 or less for families;
• have paid at least 30% of their 2021 adjusted family net income on rent for their principal residence in the 2022 calendar year (Note: if in a room and board situation where the amount is not defined as between rent and food, you can claim 90% of the payment as rent);
• be able to provide their 2022 address(es) and landlord’s contact information.
Eligible applicants can apply:
1. On-line through https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/uisp/hbw/ntr Applicants will need to know their Social Insurance Number, the name and telephone number of their landlord, and how much rent they paid in 2022. Payment will take 6 to 11 business days average payment processing time
2. through their Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) My Account. If applicants are registering for My Account for the first time, they will not need to wait for their security code in the mail; they can still access limited services in My Account and apply for this benefit immediately. Those who apply through the My Account and are signed up for direct deposit could receive their one-time top-up within five business days.
3. If neither of those methods work, you can apply by phone or teletypewriter: Telephone number 1-800-282-8079, TTY number 1-800-665-0354. To verify your identity, you’ll need your:
social insurance number (SIN), full name and date of birth, complete address, assessed tax return, notice of assessment or reassessment, other tax document. This method takes 7 to 12 business days average payment processing time
The last day to apply is March 31, 2023.
Please feel free to share widely. If anyone has problems with the application, their local legal clinic will likely be able to assist. (If all else fails, they can call my office!)